A personal Starbucks favorite of mine is the Iced Lemon Loaf Bread and I just couldn’t live without it when I went Vegan. So I looked to the WWW for a solution to my lemon loaf woes and like always the internet provided this recipe, and I couldn’t be happier. Not only is this a great replacement for my Sbux fave, I actually like it more. Its great with coffee at breakfast or as a dessert after a nice savory meal. Feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- zest of a lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- 1 cup soy yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (optional, can be substituted with vanilla essence)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 50 g (1.76 oz) vegan butter, melted
- Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven at 160°C/320F. Grease a bread form and line the inside with a baking sheet or breadcrumbs.
- Sift the flour in a bowl and combine with baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder, salt, lemon zest and sugar.
- Add water, olive oil, vegan yoghurt, lemon juice and melted vegan butter and quickly combine all the ingredients to a smooth batter (be careful not to overmix).
- Pour the batter in the bread form and bake in the oven for 40-45 min or until a skewer comes out clean (note in the comments that some covered the cake with foil and let it bake for longer). Carefully remove the cake from the form and let cool completely.
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice to a creamy consistency, spread over the cake and let it firm before slicing the cake.
Big thanks to Sofia Vonporat for the original recipe!