I don’t know about you, but purple and chocolate is one of my all time favorite combos. It’s no wonder that I chose these creative cupcakes for this Halloween Dessert special. These vegan cuppies are perfect for your kids school parties or a fresh baked trick-or-treat snack. Either way you will win the Mom of the year award when everyone ooohs and ahhhs at not only how cute they are but delicious as well.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cacao powder (or cocoa)
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup baked and mashed purple sweet potato
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4-6 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3 green grapes or kiwi berries
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate (yellow, and coconut sprinkles)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Blend the dates and water on high until smooth.
- Add the rest of the cupcake ingredients. Blend/process to form a thick batter.
- Divide beweren 6-8 muffin cups lined with paper liners or lightly oiled.
- Bake for 25 mins at 350F.
- Remove from the oven. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a food processor (works better than a blender for this), combine the mashed purple sweet potato and maple syrup. Process while slowly adding the milk until thick and smooth. This may take a while to get it really smooth.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting on each cupcake. Dab with a dull knife to create a “fur” effect.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Slice the grapes/kiwi berries in half. Insert a mini chocolate chip into the center of each. Place on top of the cupcakes.
- Enjoy! They are best eaten the day you decorate them or the grapes get a little funky.
Big thanks to Feasting on Fruit for the original recipe!