Chocolate Cupcake Monsters
I don’t know about you, but purple and chocolate is one of my all time favorite combos. It’s no wonder that I chose these creative cupcakes for this Halloween Dessert special. These vegan cuppies are perfect for your kids school parties or a fresh baked trick-or-treat snack. Either way you will win the Mom of the year award when everyone ooohs and ahhhs at not only how cute they are but delicious as well.
DARK CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cacao powder (or cocoa)
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup baked and mashed purple sweet potato
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4-6 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3 green grapes or kiwi berries
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate (yellow, and coconut sprinkles)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Blend the dates and water on high until smooth.
- Add the rest of the cupcake ingredients. Blend/process to form a thick batter.
- Divide beweren 6-8 muffin cups lined with paper liners or lightly oiled.
- Bake for 25 mins at 350F.
- Remove from the oven. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a food processor (works better than a blender for this), combine the mashed purple sweet potato and maple syrup. Process while slowly adding the milk until thick and smooth. This may take a while to get it really smooth.
- Spread a thick layer of frosting on each cupcake. Dab with a dull knife to create a “fur” effect.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Slice the grapes/kiwi berries in half. Insert a mini chocolate chip into the center of each. Place on top of the cupcakes.
- Enjoy! They are best eaten the day you decorate them or the grapes get a little funky.
Big thanks to Feasting on Fruit for the original recipe!