What is hummus? Its a blend of chickpeas and tahini with some spices added. You can generally add anything to hummus and its still delicious. Thats why you see edamame, blackbean, and other exotic mixes like beet hummus at the grocery store. It’s great for parties and pretty easy to make. You should give it a try. The best part about this recipe is that its suitable for Gluten-Free, Vegan, Raw and Vegetarians.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of salt and freshly-cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup water, or more if needed
- optional topping ideas: extra drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, toasted pine nuts, chopped roasted red peppers, basil pesto
Add first seven ingredients (chickpeas thru salt/pepper) to a food processor, and blend until smooth. Add in the water and continue blending until the hummus reaches your desired consistency, adding additional water if needed.
Garnish with optional toppings and serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Big thanks to Gimme Some Oven for the original recipe!