As a big big fan of quiche, this is one of my absolute favorites when I am on a low-carb/ Keto diet. I am also a big fan of Backyard Chickens and their eggs. I often find people selling these on Craigslist and/or Facebook Marketplace; they are generally around $3/dozen but are eggcellent. Combined with spinach, mushrooms, onions, and cheese this recipe is to die for. Feel free to add any of your favorite veggies (red bell pepper would add color).
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3-4 Green Onions (1/2 cup sliced)
- 1/2 Bell Pepper – orange or red (1/2 cup diced)
- 2 cups Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cups fresh Leafy Greens (Kale or Spinach) (rinsed and chopped)
- 12 Eggs (cracked into a large bowl and lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup 1% Milk
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh Thyme
- (optional) 1 cup Asiago Cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 12 x 10 baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat OLIVE OIL until shimmering (about 2 min).
- Add GARLIC, ONION, and BELL PEPPERS; sauté until slightly tender (about 2 minutes).
- Add MUSHROOMS; sauté until slightly tender (about 2 minutes).
- Fold in LEAFY GREENS; sauté until slightly wilted (about 1 minute).
- Remove sautéed veggies from heat; place into prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine and lightly whisk EGGS, MILK, SALT, PEPPER, and THYME; pour over sautéed veggies in the baking dish; top with ASIAGO CHEESE.
- Bake (uncovered) 35-45 minutes, until eggs are set; (optional) broil surface just until browning occurs.
- Remove with oven mitts and serve warm; or allow to cool, cut into pieces, and refrigerate in airtight containers.
Big thanks to The Kitchen Girl for the original recipe!