Ideal for meal prep, these breakfast burritos can make morning meals quick, easy and healthy. Packed with protein and fresh veggies with just the right amount of carbs to get you through the day. You could easily add your own veggies, cheeses, and sauce to this recipe to make it your own. Feel free to build your burrito just like you would at Moe’s and you will be pleasantly surprised by your on-the-go meal as you are off to the races. Personally, I like to add mushrooms and a little hot sauce for an added kick.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup salsa (optional)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 8-10 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
- Cook the vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, broccoli, salt and pepper. Cook vegetables, stirring often, until softened. Remove from heat.
- Scramble the eggs: Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until set, stirring.
- Stir the eggs and salsa into the pot with the vegetables.
- Wrap the burritos (see recipe video above): Place about ½ cup of the egg and vegetable mixture slightly below the center of each tortilla. Add ¼ cup cheese. Fold bottom of tortilla up, then fold sides in, and then continue wrapping up from the bottom into a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Freeze: Once cool, place burritos in a zip-top bag and seal. Store in the freezer for up to two months. Defrost and reheat in the microwave. (If you remember, place in the refrigerator the night before to start the defrost process.) First, use the defrost (or very low) setting to thaw. Then, heat on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute until hot. Enjoy!
Big thanks to Kristine’s Kitchen for the original recipe!