Any excuse to break out your cast iron skillet is a good one. This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes because it feeds 4 and is relatively simple. Its a great summertime brunch dish served with rice and beans or by itself. Cilantro is always optional for those who disagree with it,
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¾ cup broccoli florets cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cut into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup chopped red onion
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup shredded or diced cheddar cheese or cheese variety of your choice
- fresh herbs for garnish (chopped cilantro, parsley, or green onion)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil in an 8-inch pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the red onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add the red pepper and cook for another 3 minutes or until the pepper has softened.
- Add the broccoli to the pan along with 1 tablespoon of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender.
- Season the vegetables to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Coat the pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and egg whites, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables and cheese to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until center is set. Garnish with fresh herbs, cut into wedges and serve.
Big thanks to Healthy Fitness Meals for the original recipe!